Concealed Weapon Permits
Issuance Criteria For Permit Applicants
- Must be a resident of Sutter County.
- Legal Resident of the United States.
- Applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
- No Statutory Prohibitions (based on applicant's background, i.e., criminal history, drug addiction, any mental illness, etc.).
- Must attend a California Department of Justice approved training course. The instruction must be at least eight hours and include firearms safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm. The course of training must also include qualification for all weapons listed on the concealed weapon (CCW) permit.
- Our office can provide a list of approved and certified courses and instructors.
- Self protection is considered a good cause for the issuance of a CCW permit.
Conditions After Issuance
- To have the permit renewed, the applicant must complete an updated course of training and the training shall be no less than four hours in length, and shall include instruction on at least firearm safety and the law regarding permissible use of a firearm and qualification with each weapon listed on the concealed weapon (CCW) permit.
- Permit holder must report to the Sutter County Sheriff's Office within 10 days of any arrest of the permit holder.
- No illegal drug use.
Permits are invalid if you violate any of the following
- No alcohol consumption while exercising the permit and carrying the weapon.
- No weapons where prohibited by law i.e. State Capital Building, State Parks, Federal land and Airports.
- No weapons at locations where a "No Weapons Signs" are posted.
New applicants, after filling out an application, will need to call the Sheriff's Office at (530) 822-7307 to schedule an appointment.
It is best that the applicant has already qualified with the weapon(s) prior to the interview. On the date of the interview, the applicant is required to bring the weapon and/or weapons with them un-loaded to the Sheriff's Office so that the weapon can be inspected and serial numbers documented.
New laws allow concealed weapons permits to be issued for two years. Your permit is good only in the State of California except for the restricted areas where weapons are not allowed.
After the interview, you will have your fingerprints taken. A check will be done by the Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (F.B.I.). It takes approximately two weeks to get back the results from the Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigations (F.B.I.). Upon receiving this notice, your permit having been approved, we will notify you by telephone.
New Application Fees
The application fee is $132.00. Cash, checks, and/or money orders are accepted.
Bring your original concealed weapon permit and your qualification certificate. If you are adding a weapon, bring your unloaded weapon in a box/case.
Fees for Renewals
The renewal fee is $60.50 Cash, check, and/or money orders are accepted.
Keep in mind the concept of having a concealed weapon permit means a weapon that can be concealed. Weapons such as 44 caliber revolver with eight inch barrel or other large weapons will be restricted to carrying only in vehicles and not on your person.
Denial of Application/Appeals Process
Applicants who are denied a concealed weapons permit will be advised of the reason for the denial. All applicants who are denied are granted an automatic appeal process. The appeal is forwarded to the Sheriff who will make the final decision.
For additional information or questions regarding the Sutter County Sheriff's Office's concealed weapons permit process or policy, please contact our office at (530) 822-7307.
Concealed Weapon Forms
Sutter County Sheriff's Office
1077 Civic Center Boulevard
Yuba City, CA 95993
Phone: (530) 822-7307
* Adobe PDF document